Monday, December 8, 2008

Better late than never (or how I learned to stop being a douche and loved The Umbrella Academy)


So after trying my best to ignore the above comic book (and doing a damn fine job of it until recently), I finally gave in to all the glowing things I'd been hearing about it and purchased it.

Why was I so resistant, you might ask?

Well, it's quite simple. I don't like the music author Gerard Way makes with his band My Chemical Romance.

"But TFM," you say. "Music and comics are two totally separate mediums!"

And you're absolutely right. They are indeed. And Gerard seems like a really nice person and he's a fellow comics nerd like myself and he's obviously very creative.

But I just couldn't get past it. Sure Gerard is creative, but his musical creativeness doesn't speak to me in particular. Therefore why should his comics be any different?

It turns out his comics are different than his music. Or different enough from my perspective. Because it turns out that this collection of the first Umbrella Academy story arc is one of the most creative, refreshing and intriguing stories I have read in recent memory. And I enjoyed almost every single panel of it.

I could take the time to go into plot details and tell you what it's about and why it works so well, but I feel like I'm one of the last people out there to discover how enjoyable it is. Most comic readers I know have read it and thought it was rad and that's what finally convinced me to buy it.

However, let me end with this. If you haven't read The Umbrella Academy yet, for whatever reason. If you were skeptical, or if you were just prioritizing and didn't have enough budget to fit it in, or if it somehow just passed you by altogether: do yourself a tremendous favor and pick it up the next chance you get. I think you will find that it's pleasantly surprising and rewarding.

I'm looking forward to many more future adventures with The Umbrella Academy.

Well done, Mr. Way. I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

P.S. Gabriel Ba's art is a lot of fun as well.

- TFM

No comments: