Monday, December 1, 2008

Review: Batman #681


Like a lot of other faithful Batman readers, I've been back and forth on how I feel about the Batman R.I.P. storyline. Mostly I've disliked it. Mostly I've disliked Grant Morrison's entire run. I feel like it's been rushed and disconnected and a little confusing (I know, I know...Grant and confusing usually go hand in hand). However, Batman #681 ends the R.I.P. arc and I actually feel like it has redeemed not only the last few issues but maybe everything I didn't like since Morrison hopped on board.

Most anyone who truly cares has either read the issue already or read the spoilers that are out and about out there. The biggest "reveal" is Doctor Hurt claims to be Thomas Wayne and that he hired Joe Chill to kill Bruce and his mother. Chill loses his nerve when it comes to killing a kid and leaves Bruce alive. Thomas Wayne fakes his death and changes identities. Bruce doesn't buy this and neither do I, but it's an excellent plot element.

The issue ends with Batman attacking the helicoptor that Hurt is using to getaway and the whole thing crashing into a fiery mess into the Gotham river. There's a nice full page of Nightwing holding the cowl in his hand with the flames in the background. Things fast forward to six months later and aside from a few rumors floating about, Batman hasn't been seen since the helicoptor crash. Le Bossu is torturing a Gotham City police officer discussing this with some thugs when they are suddenly flooded with light from the Bat-Signal.

There's a lot of hate out there on the message boards for Batman R.I.P. and that's completely understandable. Grant set out to shake things up in the Batman universe and mission accomplished. People are pissed about the Thomas Wayne thing and I will be as well if it holds to be true, but I really don't think it will. Either way, I'm really looking forward to the next few arcs of my favorite comic character. I think what Grant has done is exactly what was needed to freshen things up. It should prove to be very interesting.

- TFM

No comments: