Thursday, November 6, 2008

Please, God...No.


Empire Online spoke with Sam Mendes about the recent news that he's the latest name (in a long list of names) that have been tasked with making a Preacher movie:

“It's brilliant, it's an incredible twisted vision,” he said of the 66-issue story. “There's so much of it you couldn't possibly fit it all into one movie. It's just about what you keep and what you leave out, and how you structure the story. But just to have that toy set again, being able to paint on a big canvas and to say ‘I am gonna do crazy crane shots and massive action sequences again because I want to,’ it's exciting..”

Crazy crane shots nonwithstanding, I gotta say I'm a purist when it comes to this one. Even though Garth Ennis himself apparently isn't that concerned about staying 100% faithful to the original comic, this is one I would like to see exactly the same as it is in print. I don't think Hollywood should be trusted with what's expendable when it comes to my favorite comic series.

The good news is Mendes doesn't even have a script yet, so this will probably never get made. I remember far enough back when Kevin Smith was going to direct this and have Ben Affleck star.

If they could just go back to the HBO idea it would all be ok.

Then again, if they are set on making a feature length movie out of this they need to let Garth write the script. The chances of it sucking go down at least 75%.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about it...

- TFM

No comments: