Thursday, November 13, 2008

Review: Batman Cacophony #1


Disclaimer: I'm a Kevin Smith fan and I have been for quite some time. That being said, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the first part of Batman Cacophony.

The comic opens up at Arkham Asylum with Deadshot breaking in to fulfill a contract that has been taken out on the Joker. The exchange that takes place between the two is classic Kevin Smith. But that's kind of the problem I had with it. It feels TOO Kevin Smith-y. Imagine Randal Graves playing the part of the Joker and Dante Hicks as Deadshot and you kind of have the right idea.

The rest of the story is...ok. Joker is out of Arkham and goes after Maxie Zeus who has watered down the Joker poison to concoct a new drug called Chuckles that is being sold to kids. Batman has a brief encounter with Victor Zsasz, before being summoned by Commissioner Gordon regarding the situation of the Joker's escape. And Onomatopoeia factors into the story somehow.

A couple of bright spots though. I did quite enjoy the beginning where Kevin explains the situation with the asylum gate guards- how they were let go due to the economy (and since no one ever seems to want to break
in to Arkham) and how one of the two goes on to sell 30 years of security information to the highest bidder. I did like how I was actually fooled into thinking "Wow- he just killed off Deadshot", even though I'm a pretty skeptical comics reader when it comes to that kind of thing. I liked Batman's run through of Deadshot's armor situation and the way he has it set up to "play dead" if the situation calls for it.

Overall though, I was initially really excited about this mini but now I'm not even sure if I'll be picking up the next two issues. I was hoping for more of a Daredevil: Guardian Devil kind of vibe to it. We'll see.


- TFM

No comments: